Friday, February 22, 2008

gettin' schooled.

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of watching pocahaunted play for a third grade class in oakland. You can see in the foreground, in a brown striped hoody, their splendid and inspired teacher jeff leboeuf, the man who put the whole thing together.

This is jeff's family. They really know how to party!

After their first song, they opened things up and handed out various instruments and pieces of percussion to the class. That's amanda spreading the sound around. She is an incredible person, and can dance a hole through a wall.

This little guy was ready to slam the tam tam.

And finally, there was a beautiful and interesting question and answer period. Amanda and Bethany were both very communicative and neat. Their connection is clear and special. My favorite part was when a little kid asked them what they call there music. Amanda and Bethany both looked at eachother quizzically and ventured, "It's sort of like rock & roll," and then, a little kid nearby me whispered, "but more haunted."

Dang! If you haven't checked out pocahaunted, or the many releases on their FRICKING amazing label notnotfun, you should. They make some of the best art around, I'm not not not joking.

So, as an aside? Who's sick?
Me, I'm out like a broken dog, and in my few waking moments, when I drift to the surface through the viscous yet billowing layers of nyquil I'm buried beneath, I like to compare the current state of my throat to things. Just things...

my fav three:
1. A fiberglass spiderweb. (has a nice ring does it not?)
2. A dooooooom review on the aquarius records website. If you don't know, check it, I'll be writing there soon, as its my *new job*.
3. Like I've been smoking cottage cheese. CAN YOU IMAGINE!

Later folks, laundry doesn't do itself.

No comments: